Thursday, October 9, 2008

Volunteering at Homes for Heroes

OCAR, my real estate association, is one of the sponsors of Habitat for Humanity's local Homes for Heroes build in San Juan Capistrano.

This week I had the opportunity to volunteer my time and energy at the project site. Being involved in building one of these homes was a fantastic experience. For a full day I worked as a plumber, cutting and threading pipe. It was hard, hot work which really made me appreciate my air conditioned office and comfortable chair. However, I wouldn't have given up that day of work for anything.

There were about 50 or so other volunteers working on various aspects of the project. They all were making a difference for families that really need our help. In our case we were building homes for wounded veterans.

If you have a chance to work on a Habitat Humanity, take it. It feels so good to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment